Senior Care Stress in Charlotte, NC – Learning to Recognize the Signs that Caring for an Elderly Loved One is Getting the Best of You
It is both a demanding and rewarding job to be the caregiver for a family member. It’s very important for you to maintain your state of health, both mentally and physically. Your well-being relies on you making sure you participate regularly in activities to lower your stress levels. Some of those activities could include exercise, socializing, reading a book, doing a favorite hobby, watching a movie, going for a run.
10 Signs of Caregiver Stress
- Fatigue – you feel exhausted all the time. You don’t know where to get the energy from to do all that’s required and expected of you. Even when you get enough sleep you don’t feel adequately rested.
- Hopelessness – you find yourself thinking you don’t care anymore. You wonder if your efforts are really making a difference. You feel sad and depressed.
- Lack of sleep – you can’t fall asleep even when you’re tired. You wake up frequently and can’t go back to sleep. You are restless and have nightmares.
- Denial – you think this can’t be real. You remember when Dad was so strong and could do anything. You remember when Mom had so much energy and took care of you. Now you’re taking care of them and it doesn’t seem real.
- Emotionally uptight – it’s hard to restrain from crying at the slightest thing. You find yourself getting mad easily. You snap at people for no reason.
- Worry – your anxiety levels are very high. You are worrying about tomorrow, next week, the future. You are worrying about things you can’t change but somehow feel guilty about them.
- Social withdrawal – you avoid your friends and don’t attend activities you’re invited to. You don’t stay in touch with acquaintances or old friends and you avoid your neighbors. You don’t want anyone knowing your situation. You are trying to hide.
- Health problems – you get sick and you just can’t shake it off. You catch everything going around. You feel like your immune system has crashed.
- Resentment – you don’t want to do everything and you feel your siblings have deserted you. You feel angry and resentful towards them for not helping enough. You think they should help without you having to ask.
- Lack of focus – it’s difficult to concentrate, you forget things and your memory just isn’t what it used to be.
If you think you are suffering from senior care stress, be kind to yourself and get the help you need. It could be in the form of more help from family and friends, hiring home care or doing more stress-busting activities. In reality a combination off all of these strategies would work wonders to reduce your stress levels and get you back on your feet again.
If you or an aging loved one are considering hiring home care in Charlotte, NC, contact Caring at Heart today. Our staff will answer all of your questions about caring for an aging adult. Serving Charlotte, Statesville, Ballantyne, Mooresville, Huntersville, Matthews, Concord, Gastonia, Pineville and Indian Trail. CALL TODAY (704) 837-4564.
Knowing in her heart that families deserved better, she started Caring At Heart in 2008 with two key goals in mind: To provide clients and their families with an experience that was personable, easy, and reassuring and to create a working environment that employees were excited and proud to be a part of.